How to Make Your Own eLiquid
The base ingredients of e-liquids are merely water, propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine, flavorings, and other additives.
The PG or VG represents about 70% of the e-liquid. It’s the ingredient that creates the visible vapor when heated. In fact, this is the component used in smoke machines to create the smoke.
Making your own e-liquid is economical and allows you to create your very own, unique flavors.
Begin mixing in small batches so you don’t waste a lot of your ingredients by creating an e-liquid you don’t enjoy!
Here’s What You’ll Need…
1. Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol
– This is the base for the e-liquid you will be creating and must be food grade, very important – this is going in your body, so don’t skip on the grade of your VG or PG!
- These must be food grade as well, resistant to higher temperatures and soluble in water. Flavorings that include oil or sugars and are merely room temperature resistant may not be suitable for your e-liquid, so be sure to check that your flavorings are suitable to use with e-cigarettes.
3. Distilled Water
– This is used to dilute your e-liquid. Make sure you don’t use tap water; it may contain elements that make it unhealthy for lung vaporization.
4. Optional Stabilizers
– These may include nicotine, herbs, or any other stabilizers for tobacco and herbal recipes.
There you go – these are your four main ingredients.
Droppers, Bottles and Safety Gear
When handling extra high strength nicotine products, it is essential you wear the correct protective gear, especially when you are mixing your own e-liquid. Gloves and goggles are a must! Nicotine is highly toxic and can be fatal if enough is absorbed through the skin.
Therefore, when making your own e-liquid, be sure to keep all ingredients away from children and pets. If any is spilled on your skin, rinse immediately and if you are feeling any negative effects go see your doctor.
These are your must-have basics:
• Dropper Bottles. These are available at www.eBottles.com in a variety of sizes.
Plastic Dropper Bottles
come in LDPE Plastic with Controlled Dropper Tips and Overcaps, or with Extended Tips and Child Resistant Caps. Available sizes are 5 ml, 7.5 ml, 10 ml, 15 ml and 30 ml. Get the smaller sizes to measure and mix testers, and the larger bottles for making up that flavor you adore and keeping it safe.
Our Glass Dropper Bottles
with Glass Pipettes or Glass Dropper Bottles with Child Resistant Glass Pipette Closures come in 0.5 oz, 1 oz. and 2 oz. sizes in Clear Glass, Amber Glass and Cobalt Blue Glass. They make for a more sophisticated, professional look if you want to sell your e-liquid.
The Dropper Bottles with Pipettes have a variety of uses, primarily sucking up what you need in small amounts and helping to measure as you mix your ingredients. They're also great for getting all the way to the bottom of the bottles.
• Latex/non latex gloves
. These are invaluable for protecting the skin from spillages of liquids and also for keeping your hands nice and clean as you mix the different flavors.
• Paper Towels or Rags
. ALWAYS keep paper towels at hand, for cleaning up spillages, wiping off your droppers, cleaning up bottle tops, drying off gear. It's simple, but the most important of all!
Any information contained in this article is acted upon at the user’s own risk. eBottles.com cannot be held responsible for individuals causing injury or even death to themselves or others from the use, misuse or malfunction of information contained herein.
Anyone considering to adapt ingredients commonly found in e-smoking liquid and make their own varieties must bear in mind the following:
- Nicotine is an extremely toxic substance. Its extraction, storage and use in e-liquid pose a significant risk to the user and anyone who might come into contact with it.
- Never allow nicotine to touch your skin or allow it to build up in the atmosphere. Always wear suitable protective clothing and keep workspace well ventilated.
- Extreme caution must always be applied in the handling of nicotine, especially where children are concerned – a drop of e-liquid that might make a long-term smoker feel sick will likely kill a child.
- All items contaminated by nicotine extraction or e-liquid mixing must be cleaned or disposed of accordingly. Treat it as toxic waste – do not allow it to pollute the environment or remain unattended or unsecured at any time. Contact your local authority to find what provisions there are for hazardous waste disposal before you attempt any e-liquid production.
- E-liquid and all substances used in its production must be stored securely away from children and pets and in child-proof bottles.
- Appropriate care must be taken to safeguard against fire hazards. Many ingredients in e-liquid are highly flammable, as are many substances used in the extraction of nicotine.
Even following these guidelines cannot guarantee your safety.
DIY E-Liquids – The Basics
Before you get started, here’s a word of caution...
Nicotine is an extremely toxic substance. The handling of high-strength base liquids, and especially pure nicotine, and the chemicals needed to create e-liquid should be done only by those qualified to work with dangerous materials.
If you do not have any experience in handling dangerous chemicals, you should not attempt to do any DIY liquid manufacture. Instead, buy your e-liquid from one of the many manufacturers that already exist.